On August 8th we will begin cultivation of our putting surfaces through a process known as core aerification. Core aerification has many benefits that are crucial to the successful management of quality putting surfaces. These benefits improve the playability of the golf course in the long term along with improving the soil structure to allow for a healthy turfgrass system.
To the golfer this process benefits the playability 1 - 2 weeks following core aerification by:
- Firming the surface
- Smoothing the surface
- Improves aesthetics of the surface by promoting a healthier turfgrass plant
Agronomically this process is absolutely critical for a healthy turfgrass that is maintained at low cutting heights. Just a few of these benefits are:
- Decreases surface compaction
- Increases water infiltration and percolation
- Increases Oxygen content of the soil root zone
- Increases soil microbial activity
- Promotes increased rooting of the turfgrass
- Dilutes organic matter accumulation through sand incorporation
- Allows the turfgrass manager the opportunity to incorporate crucial nutrients and amendments into the root zone
This is the busiest week of the year for our Agronomic Team and we will be taking advantage of this opportunity if the weather will cooperate by performing aerification practices over the entire course. We will Aerway (solid tine) the fairways and roughs and core aerify and topdress our tee complexes along with the collars and approaches around the greens. These practices have a moderate impact on the playability of course and are mainly an aesthetic inconvenience with the exception of the greens. The greens will have small holes for the first 7-10 days after aerification but they should be rolling relatively smooth upon opening back up for play on August 13th. With this in mind we are offering a reduced rate for the dates of August 13th - August 18th so please take advantage of this opportunity and call the Pro Shop for the latest information.